Sunday, April 27, 2008

Short day for some of us...

This morning was full of some interesting debate on the floor of the conference . Worship was phenomenal, as usual, with the Trinity UMC in Arlington leading us in worship. They were absolutely wonderful and a joy to listen to. I got to sit on the floor for a couple of hours because some of our delegates were out. I got to vote on a couple of consent calendar items and other issues! I felt very honored and excited to actually sit on the floor! Hopefully sometime this week I will get to do it again.
As business began on the floor of the conference, someone made a motion to change the calendar and agenda for the day. His motion passed basically giving the legislative committees more time in their sessions and taking more time away from the conference floor for business. From my understanding chaos ensued behind the scenes trying to get translators, pages and Marshall's to the convention center for the morning, when they didn't need to be at the convention center until 1:30. After a lengthy debate over the make up of the central conference (international delegates) committee another motion came to the floor to rescind the motion for the calendar change to the original agenda calendar. Confused yet? Welcome to the business of the UM church. A lot of time today dealt with the process and not necessarily the issues. The motion passed and they continued the floor business until lunch. Since my Local Church committee finished all their work last night we did not have to meet this afternoon or this evening. So I get to go to my real job as a youth pastor and spend time with my students! Tomorrow starts all the discussion and debate on the main floor. I am excited to see all the action! Stay Tuned...

No comments: