Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Opening Night of General Conference

As I got out my car to walk a few blocks to the convention center I decided to listen to my Ipod. I was in the mood for the David Crowder Band so I turned it on and the first song that came up was O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing. This is one of my favorite hymns since I can remember. How ironic that when worship started this evening that the hymn to open worship was O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing. Ahhh yes... God is great. I knew tonight was going to be awesome!

As I walked into the convention center I was amazed at the amount of people that were here. The amount of organization that went into this is phenomenal. The thing I am most proud is the amount volunteers that I saw from our own Central Texas Conference. Smiling faces, welcoming hands, and loving hearts were abundant and plentiful. Great job!

Worship! Wow is all I can say. The pre-worship music was incredible from the FUMC Hurst, FUMC Mansfield, and White's Chapel UMC. The stage was at one end of the arena where there are enormous screens and material where lights and graphics can be projected. Some of it in the shape of a tree on the stage stretching to the ceiling of the arena. At the base of the tree was the altar and fount that were made out of salvaged wood from hurricane Katrina in Mississippi. There is also an amazing round table staged at the middle of the floor of the arena that was used for communion and centering for worship. During worship Bishop Janice Huie, president of the council of bishops, brought the opening message. She spoke openly and eloquently. There were many youth and young adults involved in the reading of scripture and singing. It was a great evening to worship with 6500 united Methodists.

As I write this blog it is 10:30pm and the delegates are still meeting in there first session. There has been a lot of discussion and amendments already and looks to be and interesting 10 days. Stay tuned!

No comments: