Monday, April 21, 2008

My first View from the Backside

One of my favorite authors, Ellsworth Kalas, writes many books looking at scripture and situations from the backside. His writings are from an unusual angle and perspective. That will be my view of General Conference 2008. For the first time since 1976, I will have the opportunity to see the workings of the conference from the backside. There will be no agony of the chair; no balancing three or more books on my knees and shuffling through 2000+ pages of reports and legislation. There will be the opportunity to serve as i have been served for so many times. Now, the view will include how the church hosts over 3000 United Methodists for 10 days. I look forward to seeing the inspiration that comes from music, word and spirit. We will see the inevitable tedium that comes from dealing with the necessary details of essential matters. The process will be invaded on occassion by the Holy Spirit moving through the parliamentary procedure. Follow the three of us as we course our way from April 23 to May 2 seeing the same things at times from very different angles. I will be looking through the lenses of many who have already joined the Church Triumphant. As I watch the process, there will come memories of those who have gone before and pave the way for where we walk today. I will be reminded that none of us got here by ourselves. Ultimately, we will be reminded that as in the past, God uses our mistakes as often as our successes. When we come to May 2, it will be clear who provides not only the HOPE but also the FUTURE in which to live out that journey of hope.

No comments: